Latest News

email this page to a friend





















June 2011


Front screen trim


Side card trim

Danny Lee's car









Welcome to all Riley RM aficionados!

This site is all about the restoration of a 1950 Riley RMD Drophead Coupe (to give it its full title).

About The Riley RMD

In case you've stumbled on this site and haven't the faintest idea what a Riley RMD is, here's a potted history... (courtesy of Wiki...)

The Riley RM Series was the last Automobile series developed independently by Riley. RM vehicles were produced from 1945, after the Second World War, through to the 1952 merger of the Riley's Nuffield Organisation with Austin to form BMC. They were originally made in Coventry, but in 1949 production moved to the MG works at Abingdon.

There were three types of RM vehicles produced. The RMA was a large saloon, and was replaced by the RME. The RMB was an even larger car, and was replaced by the RMF. The RMC and RMD were limited-production roadsters.

All of the RM vehicles featured the pre-war Riley designed 1.5 L (1496 cc) 12 hp (RAC Rating) or 16 hp (RAC Rating) 2.5 L "Big Four" straight-4 engines with twin camshafts mounted high at the sides of the cylinder block and hemispherical combustion chambers.

More information here.

About This RMD (AXM)

This car was built in Abingdon in 1950, one of only 500 production cars (and 5 prototypes). The car was given the chassis number 60D7138 (the number 60 less 10 indicates the year in which it was built - 1950, 'D' for drophead coupe, and the sequential number), the body number A50340 and the engine number 5670. As a Left Hand Drive vehicle it was destined for export, and found its way to the USA. Early years history in USA is vague, but it looks as though it was registered first in California. Sometime around the early '60s it was added to the large motor vehicle collection of one Henry Ricci, who lived near Seattle, and given a Washington State registration of AXM 149.


If you're seriously interested in Riley RMs you should be a member of the Riley RM Club.


About This Project

According to the previous owner to me, in 1968 the car developed a 'fault', was garaged and the engine partly taken apart, and then forgotten. Come 1999 and the estate of the now sadly departed Henry Ricci is being dissolved. Many cars have to go. The previous owner had struck up a friendship with Henry, and when he heard of the disposal sale he made sure he purchased AXM 149, to save it from the street hot rod conversion he feared would be inflicted on it. Originally intending to restore the car, but never having time to do so, previous owner found that in 2011 it was time for the car to be moved on.

From this:

to something like this:

in HOW many days??

367 days so far...

Current status:

Click here to see the car on arrival.

Want to see how a real RM restoration works? Prepare to be amazed here.

Not to be outdone here's a UK restoration.

Need specialist RM help?


copyright 2012 christopher wright